Re: drop those stirrups!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jennifer Kurtzhall" <jkurtzhall@yahoo.com>

> I try to ride bareback at least once a week, usually
> in the arena.I have found that riding bareback not
> only helps me with my balance, my horse responds much
> better, and with a better attitude bareback

Personally, I always have thought dressage SHOULD be done bareback!  I mean,
in a flat arena, where slight weight shifts and body position are SO
importaant, how better to do that than bareback??!!

I have to tell you, with all the horses I have burdened myself with now (7)
and the fact that I try  really hard to get 2-4 out each day; what I enjoy
the MOST is hauling out Ashley the round Arab, and heading out on the trail
bareback!  I usually let a youngster run free on the trail;and the whole
experience is relaxed and fun!  You do need a horse that is reliable and
comfortable!

Another benefit of riding bareback-I rode that way all through my 20's, even
on very long rides.When I was in the hospital having my first baby, the
nurse commented she had never seen anyone with such tight stomach muscles!
I attribute it to all the balancing I did bareback!

Karen