Re: Pedigrees

> <<  I'm wondering how many ridecampers out there honestly
>  choose a horse largely on pedigree. >>

Bette---I agree with Maria - pedigrees are important to me.   But then, I
(too) am a preservation breeder more than I am competitor (just a wannabe in
that area).  I like the quality and look of my bay horses (yes, there's that
"bay" again) - there is a look to them that pleases me immensely and I
believe people find a consistent quality at my farm, too.   Another thing
that is important to me is temperament--and I am finding that certain
bloodlines are more likely to have that "look" and temperament I want than
others, and interestingly enough they are usually incidentally bay.   Not
that I have anything against the others--there are a lot of good horses out
there - lots of good programs (lots of good horses of other colors -g).
But, as I have been looking at horses, I find again and again that the
horses I like have pedigree in common.   That is one reason I chose to go
with preservation breeding--to keep those particular lines/traits going.
And, no, not every one of them is what I am wanting, but most are.   I agree
with Maria--if you can find the horses you love with the pedigrees you want,
and feel sure those pedigrees will give you what you want---why go outside?
And, I AM interested in raising "peas in a pod" so someone can look at that
horse and guess where it came from.   Which may never happen if I keep on
keeping all the bays for myself (G).

Claudia