Re: RC: Pedigrees

Hi Maria
I agree with you wholeheartedly. There is a place for those who breed a
certain line and even do line-breeding (it's a risk to breed father to
daughter but sometimes it strengthens the characteristics of that
lineage). We need to preserve some of the old lines--- the best of the
old lines.
Why would I agree with this? Because for me, I outcross my stallion with
other lines and I like to know what I can expect with that mare. Let's
face it, no one can predict with 100% accuracy, probably not even 70%
but, as Heidi says, you have a better idea of what the probabilities
are. All of our lines are going to subtly change over time. The average
height of even present day desert-bred is more than years back (look at
some of the old pictures) and certainly we've come a long way from that
first prehistoric horse. And just as human beings are evolving (well,
maybe teenagers regress for a while), horses are also evolving no matter
how hard some breeders may try to stop the winds of change. And who
would want to, really? It is called EVOLUTION and I believe a man named
Darwin had something to say about that.
So what I am back to is that there is room for all breeders in our horse
world and my stallion is no more right for everyone's program (don't let
him know I said that) than anyone else's stallion is. I'm proud of Hal
and I guess I do tend to go on about him because I believe he is such a
gift. But I want you to know I have talked people out of breeding their
mares to him. The first question I ask is how is your mare's shoulder?
Hal is pre potent in a lot of things but he cannot completely correct a
bad angled shoulder so I steer them to another stallion and many times
not belonging to me. I also tell people that if they have a daisy cutter
mare and want a Park horse, don't breed to mine. If they don't like
their mares' head, don't breed to Hal. YOu get my drift. I believe you
find a stallion to complement the mare and to bring out certain
qualities---WHATEVER those qualities are that the breeder is looking
for. And I believe it is wrong to judge anyone's preferences. After all,
we are all different and have different likes and needs. Vive la
Difference!!! (OK, so it's been a long time since French IA and I know
I'm probably spelling it wrong, Heather--sorry)
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!