Re: RC: bitting question

Celeste Comfort wrote:

> I have been reading the post on this with much
> interest. I'm starting a 7yr old mare that is very
> green, and I think she could benefit from some of the
> bits you have been talking about.  Can anyone tell me
> where I can purchase a full cheek snaffle with a
> french or double jointed mouth piece?  I would need
> one in a 4 3/4" of a
> 4 1/2".  Does it matter much if it is copper or not?

Not as far as I can tell ... my Dover Saddlery catalog has a pretty good
selection of Korsteel bits with french link or "bean" mouthpieces, but
they're mostly in those big ol' honkin' warmblood sizes.

FWIW, for my $$, unless you put bit keepers on a full cheek bit which
keeps it upright (and applies a bit of poll pressure, in theory), a
distance horse is just as well off in a D-ring bit.  I've had the full
cheek pieces hook on my clothes, bucket handles, etc.  The D-ring puts
the lateral pressure on the lips, keeps the bit from sliding through the
mouth in a moment of brainlessness, and doesn't have the same safety
risks.

-Abby