Re: bitting question

Hi Celeste,

If your mare has a narrow mouth (sounds like she might), be careful fitting
the french link bits.  I tried a few of them on my mare who takes a 4 3/4"
mouthpiece, and with most of them the links of the french link ended up
right over her bars which made the action severe.  On some bits, the rings
that hold the french link (lozenge) are perpendicular to the tongue, and on
some they lie parallel.  On a horse with thin, high bars in their mouth, the
perpendicular rings can be severe if they lie right over the bars.  Also,
some of the 4 3/4" bits are too fat on a petite horse.  If you look at a few
french link bits you will see what I mean about the link size, rings, and
diameter.  PonyOnly.com has a nice selection of bits for the smaller equine:
http://www.ponyonly.com

The only bit that really fit my horse was a KK Ultra Bradoon, in a 5" mouth.
It has a really short lozenge which works OK for her, and the rings that
hold the link are aligned better than on some french links.  I wish the KK
was available in a full cheek, but it's a loose ring.

All that said, I put my mare in a sidepull and she's easier to control than
she was even with the good fitting bit that I agonized over. :-)

Happy trails and happy holidays!

Michelle
(Colorado)