Re: Re: bitting questions (long)

Louise Bower wrote:

> I have a question about the type of metal in a bit.  Is there any
difference between black iron and sweet iron?  Also do either/or actually
help to keep the mouth more moist?  Also what about a copper bit, does it
really help the horse to salivate?  >>

Hi, Louise.  I've never heard of black iron, but have used an Augentin (sp?)
KK snaffle, which is commonly called (although I believe it's incorrectly
called) sweet iron.

Sweet iron does help a horse to salivate.  So does copper.  If you've ever
put a copper penny in your mouth, you'll also salivate.  Augentin also
encourages salivation, although I've found it does so to a lesser extent
than sweet iron / copper and when I tasted it (yes, okay, I'm weird), it
didn't have that "bloody" taste of the other two, so I didn't mind using it.

However, my take on all these bits is that they're a bit gimmicky and that,
if you find a bit your horse is comfortable in, and if your hands are good,
he'll salivate anyway.  And, as stainless steel is a whole lot cheaper than
copper / sweet iron / augentin, I prefer to have five or six different
stainless steel bits lying around to play with than one or two of the
others.

Tracey