Re: bitting questions (long)

Tracey wrote:
> Hi, Louise.  I've never heard of black iron, but have used an Augentin (sp?)
> KK snaffle, which is commonly called (although I believe it's incorrectly
> called) sweet iron.

I think it's Aurigan, and I believe there's some silver in the metal, so
yes, it would be incorrect to call it sweet iron.

>Augentin also
> encourages salivation, although I've found it does so to a lesser extent
> than sweet iron / copper and when I tasted it (yes, okay, I'm weird), it
> didn't have that "bloody" taste of the other two, so I didn't mind using it.

See, I knew you had weird dietary habits ;)

Thank you for doing the experiment for me, Tracey.

> However, my take on all these bits is that they're a bit gimmicky and that,
> if you find a bit your horse is comfortable in, and if your hands are good,
> he'll salivate anyway.

My thoughts exactly, and probably why I'd never really experimented
along those lines.  I do have a mare who goes beautifully in a
copper-mouthed D-ring snaffle (single joint) but I put it on her because
of the D rings, not the copper.  (The bit I just found in a box
somewhere.) Still don't think I'd go out & spend money on one.

-Ab

--
* * *
Abby Bloxsom