slaughter houses

Here in Texas they are trying to get horses to be "pets" instead of
livestock. But how many "pets" a year are put to sleep at the Humane Society
or SPCA? I rather have the horses slaughtered here then shipped in a truck
and hauled to Canada. And if they stop slaughtering the thousands of horses a
year, where are all these horses going to go? WHo is going to feed and take
care of them? Though I am not a fan of the slaughter houses I am not sure
what a better alternative would be.

Maria