Re: Forest now included in pasture

A.Perez AmandaPerez@ureach.com
  There are several good web sites that list toxic plants,
but I don't have the urls here (I'll try to post them later).  I'd contact your local extension agent (look in the govt. listings in the phone book under either the U.S. or State Dept. of Agriculture).  You at least should be able to get a list of toxic plants common to your region, and you might even be able to get an agent out to inspect the woods.

  Most toxic plants don't taste good and will only be eaten of good forage is not available.  If the pasture is green, lush and not over-grazed and/or if good quality hay is available at all times, it unlikely that a horse would eat something poisonous.
There are, however, some plants that are so deadly that even small amounts can kill, and these should be checked for. Yew is the one that comes to mind, but there are a few others.  Try calling around to several vets in your area to see what cases of plant poisoning they've seen in your area, get afield guide and go look for the plants that have caused problems in your area.

  If you do find something poisonous, stall your horse and have the barn owner get some Round Up to kill the plant - it will take awhile to keill it, so keep horses out of that area. Once the plant is dead, remove all remains (note: Round Up takes time to act, so don't remove the plant until it is completely dead - otherwise it may just re-sprout from the roots).  Using an herbicide instead of just cutting the plant downs prevents re-sprouting from the roots.