Re: RC: a safety issue: head injuries linked to alzheimers disease

In a message dated 10/24/2000 12:14:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

<< A.Perez AmandaPerez@ureach.com
 There was a story on NPR this morning about recent research
 which reviewed the records of WWII veterens who sustained
 various head injuries (and a control group w/o head injuries)
 and then reviewed health histories of both groups.  The report
 said a single injury bad enough to cause unconsciousness and
 memory loss was correlated with later onset of alzheimers.

Interesting coincidence.....while waiting around the LAX airport for my
connecting flight home from the BOD meeting last Sunday, I walked into a book
store and started reading Nancy Reagan's new book about her husband's letters
to her (what an incredible love story!)  Toward the end of the book, she
touched on his present condition with Alzheimer's Disease, and she believes
it all started when he was thrown off a horse and sustained a head injury.  I
started wearing a helmet after I had a horse fall over backwards on me.  I
didn't hurt my head (but had 4 broken ribs), but it set me to thinking about
safety.  Being a pathologically cautious person, I never get on a horse any
more without wearing a helmet.  Ribs will heal (unless one punctures a vital
blood vessel or organ), but brain damage is something that terrifies me.
Just my opinion.........

Barbara