Re: RC: Conformation flaws that are "Deal Breakers"

Hi Kimberly
No, daisy clipping is not a fault--- it is a desirable trait in
endurance--- no wasted movement at the trot--- and it does not preclude
fold in the fetlock. It merely means that there is a minimal amount of
lift so that the horse does not expend any extra energy but rather
reaches far in front and "grabs" the ground like they are pulling it
towards them (of course that is an illusion caused by the powerful hind
action pushing them forward).
So far as calf knees, they did not appear severe to me from the photo
but I defer to the experts--- (Haven't had any calf kneed as yet---
knock on wood-- an occasional clubby foot which can be managed and once
in a while an offset knee-- none of which appeared to affect them in
performance if managed properly (or left along in the case of the
latter). Tom, are you there???? What do race trainers think about calf
knees?
Bette
PS Overtracking a foot or so is GOOD--- I'd put some emphasis on that!
She is a beauty; I can tell that from the photo! Oh, the tubiness will
appear less so once she puts on more body--- remember, she is VERY
immature at this point and has a lot more substance to put on before she
is through growing. Mark has told me to hide most of my 2 year olds
until 4 or 5--- they look soooo gangly! Halyva Guy looked cow-hocked at
2 (like a baby) but boy you should see this 15.2hh guy now! He's in
training with Donna Snyder-Smith at Red Shield who feels he is their
hottest prospect. Might give his father a run for his money on breedings
should they keep him a stallion! And it was between his 5th and 7th year
that he put on his last 2 inches of height and a lot more substance.

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov