too low pulse rate

Here's a question for our vets...
Is there any reason to be concerned about low pulse rates?  My 14 year old
laid-back gelding (resting rate 26bpm) seems to most often be at 44 directly
into the checks, even when he seems hot and in need of coming down IMO.  I
don't use a monitor so I don't know what he's at while working.  It's
getting a little unnerving and I was wondering what kind of danger signs I
should be looking for.  He's got a normally slow capillary refill time as
well... 2 to 3 seconds even while at rest and the gums are blanched enough
where it's kind of hard to even tell.  I'm starting to wonder if he's got
low blood pressure or something and we're headed for some kind of crash?
Thanks, Nikki the Worrywart