Re: A reply to FEI's Michael Stone

In a message dated 8/29/00 1:38:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tracey@tbt.co.za
writes:

<< Okay.  Maybe I should have qualified my experience, which is more in the
 showjumping, eventing, and dressage scene, where short cuts can and are
 taken, and horses are brought on quite young, and over-jumped to the extent
 that, quite often, their useful life is severely curtailed.>

You can't abuse athletes and get much use from them. Showing is a whole
'nother ballgame.

 >I had a discussion with a friend about this recently.  He is an
 international showjumper, trainer and breeder.  He is jumping his horses
 (WBs mainly, with the odd TB thrown in) as young as three, and some go on to
 jump International A grade as young as 6.  He is aware what it does to their
 joints, perfectly well aware, but this is how he makes his (very good)
 living.  He schools his babies in draw reins and de Gogues to get their
 heads down, and puts them at fences which they either go over, or through.

 This is my experience.  I have tried arguing with my buddy (who rides like a
 God and could do it correctly if he wanted to, but is paid enormous amounts
 of money for the horses he produces, so why should he?) but there is no way
 I can counter the money that he is earning from this.>

Some people are paid very well to produce hamburger. In France and Japan,
horseburgers. Some are so good at it, they could be called professionals. But
what we're talking about here is building endurance athletes.

  >Not after you've spent 4 years building one. >

 >My point is that those professionals (and you will appreciate that we use
 the term in different ways) will bring a horse on sooner, ride it harder and
 discard it earlier - it pays them to do so.  My friend just sold a 13 yo ex
 International A grade for a small fortune to an aspiring junior.  Only
 problem is that the horse has done everything in its power so far to try and
 kill her.  So what?  She wanted a horse who can jump six foot fences, she
 got one.  She didn't care about its background.  Are we going to see
 "newbie" endurance riders buying ex-Tevis winners, who are possibly past it,
 for huge sums, so that they can enter this sport at top level?>

Probably already been done. If you do a professional job in the restoration
of a Porshe 911, sell it, and the new owner wraps himself around a tree in
it, that doesn't diminish your professionalism.

 >Right there you make a common assumption that you cannot prove--that riders
 intent on winning cripple more horses than morons at the back or the middle
 of the pack with sugarplums of "to finish is to win" dancing in their heads.
 If you can demonstrate the truth of your assertion, I will gladly cede the
 point.  >

 >That is not what I said.  I am not talking numbers, I am comparing
 circumstances and saying that, in my morality, which is personal and not
 intended to be an example to the world, harm caused by ignorance is less
 unacceptable than harm caused by recklessness.>

As a "teacher", I look at it differently. If damage done via ignorance is far
more pervasive than damage done by recklessness, then you attack the primary
problem and leave the reckless to reap what they sow, as they surely will.

 > Of course riders intent on
 winning are not necessarily doing so to the detriment of their horses.  Many
 care deeply for their horses well-being.  What I am saying is that my
 experience in the equine sports OUTSIDE of endurance has indicated a sad
 decline in those professionals who are prepared to put their horse's
 well-being ahead of blue ribbons. >

I've been in horseracing for nearly 3 decades--have written 8 books
concerning the preparation of these athletes. My books are considered to be
"not in the best interest of horseracing" because on virtually every page
there is something that wounds the sensibilities of those "professionals",
including, particularly, veterinarians, who opt for the shortcut and the
quick buck. I remind these folks at every opportunity, that this is a
violation of their professional oaths--that in any other industry they'd be
put in jail. If endurance racing becomes a money sport, these creatures are
sure to show up in droves, and I'll be the very first to attack with language
that will singe their short hairs.

> I can't believe that endurance will be
 immune to this trend if big money is allowed to be the motivating factor
 behind winning.>

That is a serious concern. But the worst thing you can do is confuse the
issue, lumping honest competitors with those who are truly evil. The
distinction needs to be made from the very beginning, because the dishonest
will cloak themselves as "winners".

 >You understood me very well.>

 Why thank you, Mr Ivers.  It's been a pleasure!  You can send me to my room
 now, if you want.

 Tracey >>

You have my permission to stay up for as long as your brain is functional. So
far, so good.

Tom