Re: A reply to FEI's Michael Stone

Tom wrote:

>You can't abuse athletes and get much use from them. Showing is a whole
'nother ballgame. >

Ooh, not sure about that.  Define athlete.  We're talking horses with the
stamina to complete a TDE, or jump a course of 1.8 metre fences three to
four times a day for three days.  That is athletic.  Maybe not the same type
of athlete as an endurance horse, or a racehorse, but still an athlete.
There is still physical and mental stress, and the horses are expected to
perform, regardless of the efficacy of the training they received.  If you
are saying that you can't abuse an endurance horse and expect him to stay
sound for the duration of a 100 mile race, then I can't really comment, as
my experience precludes me from doing so, but I've seen some eventers who
really ought NOT to be competing get around a strenuous TDE, through drugs
and sheer force of will on the part of the rider, because the rewards were
high enough.

>Some people are paid very well to produce hamburger. In France and Japan,
horseburgers. Some are so good at it, they could be called professionals.
But  what we're talking about here is building endurance athletes.  >

Yes, but the principle remains the same : for the right monetary incentive,
human nature takes over and people will try to do it quicker and less
"professionally".  That might happen without the monetary incentive, it
might not.  But with the monetary incentive, IMHO, it will happen.

>Probably already been done. If you do a professional job in the restoration
of a Porshe 911, sell it, and the new owner wraps himself around a tree in
it, that doesn't diminish your professionalism.>

No, it doesn't.  But we're not talking about a car here, we're talking about
a horse.  To me, it is unprofessional to sell a horse to somebody who hasn't
the faintest idea what they're getting into, nor how to maintain the horse
at the level at which they hope to use it.  I know this isn't a perfect
world, and that there is little or nothing that can be done to prevent this
kind of thing from happening, but it is for this reason that Debi's
rejection of that amount of money comes as a breath of fresh air.

>As a "teacher", I look at it differently. If damage done via ignorance is
far more pervasive than damage done by recklessness, then you attack the
primary problem and leave the reckless to reap what they sow, as they surely
will.>

Now whose making assumptions on numbers? :-)  I think you attack both.
Because it is not only the reckless who reap what they sow, it is their
horses, and the sport in general.

>I've been in horseracing for nearly 3 decades--have written 8 books
concerning the preparation of these athletes.>

Are you trying to make me more comfortable debating this with you, Tom?!?!?!

>My books are considered to be "not in the best interest of horseracing"
because on virtually every page there is something that wounds the
sensibilities of those "professionals", including, particularly,
veterinarians, who opt for the shortcut and the quick buck. I remind these
folks at every opportunity, that this is a violation of their professional
oaths--that in any other industry they'd be put in jail. If endurance racing
becomes a money sport, these creatures are sure to show up in droves, and
I'll be the very first to attack with language that will singe their short
hairs. >

You and me both!  And I can do it in Afrikaans and Zulu, too!

>That is a serious concern. But the worst thing you can do is confuse the
issue, lumping honest competitors with those who are truly evil. The
distinction needs to be made from the very beginning, because the dishonest
will cloak themselves as "winners". >

I apologise if this is what I appeared to be doing.  I think I mentioned
that there are professionals who do care deeply for their horses, just as
there are amateurs who don't.  My concern is that the influx of huge
financial rewards might just tip the scales into an unhealthy balance.

>You have my permission to stay up for as long as your brain is functional.
So far, so good.

Thanks.  It's been a pleasure.  And educational, into the bargain.

Tracey