Re: A reply to FEI's Michael Stone

In a message dated 8/30/00 2:29:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tracey@tbt.co.za
writes:

<< >That is a serious concern. But the worst thing you can do is confuse the
 issue, lumping honest competitors with those who are truly evil. The
 distinction needs to be made from the very beginning, because the dishonest
 will cloak themselves as "winners". >

 I apologise if this is what I appeared to be doing.  I think I mentioned
 that there are professionals who do care deeply for their horses, just as
 there are amateurs who don't.  My concern is that the influx of huge
 financial rewards might just tip the scales into an unhealthy balance.>

It will certainly do so. But as Michael said, the money is already there. As
is prestigious international competition. So, what has to be applied to the
existing situation is logic, not emotion. You have to set up very strict
rules, with very strict enforcement. You have to provide the education
necessary so that would-be competitors know how to prepare their athletes.
You have to design courses that are a true test of endurance. You have to
strictly pre-qualify the competitors, not politically, but physiologically.
At some level, riders and horses should be registered. So should the
veterinarians and other officials. There are dozens of considerations I've
left out here--but the object is to eliminate the looseness of organizaton
that allows a lot of abuse, not only of the horses, but of the humans, the
rules, the press, the money, the politics, etc.

I think things are moving in that direction. They will do so properly as long
as emotings or baseless opinions are not given the weight of facts. And one
of the things to keep in mind as the sport develops is that, just because
someone in authority expresses an opinion, that doesn't mean that the person
is expressing the truth.

 >You have my permission to stay up for as long as your brain is functional.
 So far, so good.

 Thanks.  It's been a pleasure.  And educational, into the bargain.

 Tracey>

Yep. Learning is arduous, but fun. Nice to wrestle with a good mind.

Tom