From: Karen Sullivan [mailto:greymare@jps.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2000 12:03 PM
To: dan_hutchinson@msn.com
Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: QH/Arab cross

Hi Diane

I have three Arabs and

Three half Arabs....  One Arab/mustang, one Arab/Walker, one Arab/Paint (QH)
Just sold an Arab/morgan

They all have their good and bad points. My Arab/Walker is about 15.2 and
very heavily boned.  I am almost
6 ft., and currently weigh 160.

My Arab/paint filly is already 14.3,  a yearling, and will be very
big.........

That said,  I have mixed feelings about Arab crosses........I have seen some
truly  horrible crosses with awful comformation. Since many Qh and paints
these days seem to have these huge butts sailing up in the air, far higher
than the withers.........this will NOT make a good riding aniimal.

the pure Arabs seem to have the best recoveries, and a small Arab may be
able to carry you better than a bad cross......that said, best advice is to
NOT narrow your search, look at every Arab cross and pure Arab you can find,
for comparison sake.  I DO believe that my pure Arabs are smarter than the
crosses, and for some reason,happen to be more laid back and sensible!

IF all my horses dropped dead tomorrow and I had to look for the one perfect
horse to be a companion, good trail horse, camping, trail, whatever, I think
I would tend to look for a pure Arab, at least one where my feet didn't drag
on the ground.....I "dabble" in endurance, not an serious competitor.  My
goal, for ANY of my horses, is that they be well trained and sensible enough
for the kids to ride.......as well as go 50 miles!

I DO  believe than as a generalization, Arabs seem to be sounder than other
riding animals..........

I also don't happen to believe that "big" bone is necessarly the number one
criteria........Arabs traditionally have
HARD and FINE bone...just becaue an Arab is crossed with some sort of
heavily-boned breed and produces a critter with big legs.......is no
guarantee it will stay any sounder than the fine-boned Arab.

Any comments, ridecampers?

Karen Sullivan