Re: A reply to FEI's Michael Stone

Hi, Tom.  Excuse me if I appear a bit nervous about arguing with you, it's
just that I've been reading your stuff for so long on RC that I feel the way
I did the first time I argued politics with my father!  At least I hope you
won't say "because I said so, that's why!"  Anyway, I digress

>A step in the right directon.>

Oh, goodie!

>This is not my experience. >

Okay.  Maybe I should have qualified my experience, which is more in the
showjumping, eventing, and dressage scene, where short cuts can and are
taken, and horses are brought on quite young, and over-jumped to the extent
that, quite often, their useful life is severely curtailed.

I had a discussion with a friend about this recently.  He is an
international showjumper, trainer and breeder.  He is jumping his horses
(WBs mainly, with the odd TB thrown in) as young as three, and some go on to
jump International A grade as young as 6.  He is aware what it does to their
joints, perfectly well aware, but this is how he makes his (very good)
living.  He schools his babies in draw reins and de Gogues to get their
heads down, and puts them at fences which they either go over, or through.

This is my experience.  I have tried arguing with my buddy (who rides like a
God and could do it correctly if he wanted to, but is paid enormous amounts
of money for the horses he produces, so why should he?) but there is no way
I can counter the money that he is earning from this.

So we just don't discuss training methods, and I warn him in advance if I
need to borrow a bit, so he can put  the gadgets out of my way when I go
into the tack room (I have been known to fling them into bushes, or out of
windows)

 >Not after you've spent 4 years building one. >

My point is that those professionals (and you will appreciate that we use
the term in different ways) will bring a horse on sooner, ride it harder and
discard it earlier - it pays them to do so.  My friend just sold a 13 yo ex
International A grade for a small fortune to an aspiring junior.  Only
problem is that the horse has done everything in its power so far to try and
kill her.  So what?  She wanted a horse who can jump six foot fences, she
got one.  She didn't care about its background.  Are we going to see
"newbie" endurance riders buying ex-Tevis winners, who are possibly past it,
for huge sums, so that they can enter this sport at top level?

>Right there you make a common assumption that you cannot prove--that riders
intent on winning cripple more horses than morons at the back or the middle
of the pack with sugarplums of "to finish is to win" dancing in their heads.
If you can demonstrate the truth of your assertion, I will gladly cede the
point.  >

That is not what I said.  I am not talking numbers, I am comparing
circumstances and saying that, in my morality, which is personal and not
intended to be an example to the world, harm caused by ignorance is less
unacceptable than harm caused by recklessness.  Of course riders intent on
winning are not necessarily doing so to the detriment of their horses.  Many
care deeply for their horses well-being.  What I am saying is that my
experience in the equine sports OUTSIDE of endurance has indicated a sad
decline in those professionals who are prepared to put their horse's
well-being ahead of blue ribbons.  I can't believe that endurance will be
immune to this trend if big money is allowed to be the motivating factor
behind winning.

>You understood me very well.>

Why thank you, Mr Ivers.  It's been a pleasure!  You can send me to my room
now, if you want.

Tracey