Re: A reply to FEI's Michael Stone

In a message dated 8/28/00 11:57:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tracey@tbt.co.za writes:

<< Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, Tom, but what you are saying is that abuse
can
 occur even with the best of intentions, due to ignorance on the part of the
 owner / rider?  If I'm giving your comment the correct interpretation, then
 I agree with you.>

A step in the right directon.

> However, people with the best intentions are, in my experience, more willing
 to learn more, and to change their methodology in the light of acquired
 knowledge, than those whose sole ambition in this sport is to achieve
 success, financial and otherwise.>

This is not my experience.

 > The "professionals" of whom Debi was
 speaking (and no, this does not include all professionals, although we are
 seeing an unfortunate decline in the number of "professional horsepeople"
 and an increase in the number of"professional riders") will do whatever it
 takes to win, irrespective of the damage it causes to their horses.  Horses,
 to these riders, are disposable commodities - there will always be another
 one.>

Not after you've spent 4 years building one.

> Much as I hate to see neglect / abuse of any kind, it is somehow a little
 more tolerable when it is done from ignorance - which can be solved - than
 from a willingness to win, irrespective of the odds.>

Right there you make a common assumption that you cannot prove--that riders
intent on winning cripple more horses than morons at the back or the middle
of the pack with sugarplums of "to finish is to win" dancing in their heads.
If you can demonstrate the truth of your assertion, I will gladly cede the
point.

> If I completely misunderstood your earlier post, then please regard the
 above as yet more moronic claptrap!

 Tracey >>

You understood me very well.

ti