Re: A reply to FEI's Michael Stone

Tom et al

>"Genuine concern" is also not synonymous with good horsemanship. Instead,
it
>is a "feel good" excuse to cover a wide range of unprofessional "abuses".
>Foremost among all these potential abuses is the attempt to compete with a
>horse that is not fit (in all the meanings of the word) for the rigors of
>competition. So, I would presume that those proclaiming "genuine concern"
are
>also delivering the fittest animals--otherwise, it's just sanctimonious
>claptrap.
>
>Now, I believe you, Debi, have qualified to deliver that phrase, but beware
>of others who would jump on your "feel good" bandwagon. It might be best if
>we fully and clearly define genuine concern and good horsemanship as these
>prases apply to endurance competition.  "

Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong, Tom, but what you are saying is that abuse can
occur even with the best of intentions, due to ignorance on the part of the
owner / rider?  If I'm giving your comment the correct interpretation, then
I agree with you.

However, people with the best intentions are, in my experience, more willing
to learn more, and to change their methodology in the light of acquired
knowledge, than those whose sole ambition in this sport is to achieve
success, financial and otherwise.  The "professionals" of whom Debi was
speaking (and no, this does not include all professionals, although we are
seeing an unfortunate decline in the number of "professional horsepeople"
and an increase in the number of"professional riders") will do whatever it
takes to win, irrespective of the damage it causes to their horses.  Horses,
to these riders, are disposable commodities - there will always be another
one.

Much as I hate to see neglect / abuse of any kind, it is somehow a little
more tolerable when it is done from ignorance - which can be solved - than
from a willingness to win, irrespective of the odds.

If I completely misunderstood your earlier post, then please regard the
above as yet more moronic claptrap!

Tracey