crops

would someone please explain to me why a person would ride an endurance ride
with a crop???I've heard their explanation that they need to get the horses
attention ---especially at the beginning of the ride---which sounds kind of
strange but...OK...whatever...but why would ANYONE need a crop the last 50
miles of a ride???Surely you've managed to get your horses' attention by
then???(stallion owners need not reply);o]