Re: New FEI standards

Maryanne:

I wanted to thank you personally for the insights you've added to this
discussion.  You've seen some of these disturbing trends in the sport
firsthand, so your thoughts and opinions have real value.  I've also seen the
trends firsthand as an international competitor, but, somehow, the corrupted
nature of the UAE's association with the FEI had slipped by me.  Just a few
years ago, the sport was still pretty innocent and true to its original
intent.

It's funny...about 7 or 8 years ago I was offered a six figure amount by one
of the prominent sheiks for my wonderful horse, CBS Redman.  At that time, no
one had ever been offered that kind of money for an endurance horse.  Nearly
everyone told me I was crazy for turning that kind of money down.  After all,
he was "just a horse."  The agent working the deal told me I could finance
all three of my childrens' college educations with the money they would pay
me for my horse.  Selling out never felt right then and still doesn't now.
My instincts were not to get involved with big money.  I had a feeling my
horse and I would become pawns in a game I didn't want to play.

Since then, I've watched the UAE grow in their influence in this sport.
Money does, indeed by power.  It buys people, too.  I could have used the
money then and still could now, especially since one of those kids is in
college and the next is a senior in high school.  Oh well...like my daughter
said years ago when the indecent proposal was made, "It's only money, Mom.
We'd just spend it!"

Keep sending out your thoughts and experiences.  Thanks again for speaking
out.

Debi Gordon