kids & endurance

Got one for you parents out there. How the heck do you handle it when one
of your kids is obsessed with the idea of doing a ride, and the other
could take it or leave it, but is afraid they'll look bad to the other
endurance people if their sibling competes and they don't?

I've got 2 daughters. Both can ride. One loves to ride. The older one
would never think of going to get a horse out on her own, or begging to
go riding. The younger one HOWLS every time there is a junior on the
cover of EN that "It's not fair!!!"  She gets out the pony and canters by
my window bareback smiling and waving as I type at the computer.

For years it was no big deal, because there was no animal I trusted for
them to ride in competition. Now I've gotten on extended loan a GREAT
horse. (Thank you Dave Bennett) He's 18 years old, about 1400 miles of
competition, finished 8 50's last year...and he CAN TROT WITH KABOOT!!!
So, here I am in a terrible spot all the sudden. The older child is
acting SHOCKED that I'd let the younger one do a 50 before her! (though I
don't recall her asking to do one)  What it comes down to is this. She
dreads people in camp saying "When are YOU going to do a ride?? How come
your little sister is riding and you're not??"

How do ya'll handle that?  It's inevitable that I'll be spending a lot of
time with the one who conditions with me.  I think they can handle that.
I think we can work out the jealousy problems at home. It's the ride I'm
worried about.  I've already bought the older one a "Crews, the true
victims of endurance" shirt, trying to play up the importance of that
roll. I'm considering trying to get her involved in working the vet
checks. She knows how to be an arrival timer, and could be trusted with
pulses with a little practice. I thought that would make her feel
important and she loves to socialize.  She could probably live through a
50 (though I'm not sure the little one could live through sitting on the
side while she did it), she participates in all sports and is athletic.
Maybe just once would be enough to get it out of her system.  Any other
tips out there?

Angie, Bonnie (PLEASE don't comment she's not competing)
and Josie (counting the minutes till Big South Fork)
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.