Re: RC: kids & endurance

In a message dated 8/20/00 6:17:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
rides2far@juno.com writes:

<<  The older child is
 acting SHOCKED that I'd let the younger one do a 50 before her! (though I
 don't recall her asking to do one)  What it comes down to is this. She
 dreads people in camp saying "When are YOU going to do a ride?? How come
 your little sister is riding and you're not??"   >>

Well, I'm not a parent--just an auntie about to be faced with some similar
questions...  <sigh>  First suggestion--sit #1 daughter down by herself,
maybe make a date of it at the local ice cream place or whatever, and ask her
how much she REALLY wants to compete.  Mention that she has never mentioned
it, and that you don't want to just assume, you want her true feelings on the
subject.  If it is something she wants, you are behind her all the way, but
if it is something she doesn't want, you are behind her all the way, too.  If
she truly wants, then no problem--go ride.  If she isn't sure or doesn't
want, there are lots of good "comebacks" to the insensitive bums who would
ask her why she isn't riding--from "I'm the mainstay of the team--I'm the
crew!" to simply enabling her to be who she is and say, "It's not my thing,
it's my little sister's thing, and I'm helping her do it!"  And Angie, bless
you for not being a "Little League Mom" and simply dragging the kids along,
ready and willing or not.

Heidi