Chevy S10

Ok, Ridecampers, please help me out.

I'm about to get married.  And I have a fiancé with a Chevy S10.  He's
convinced that the truck can pull a horse trailer with at least 1 horse in
it.  I'm concerned about stopping power, weight of the trailer outweighing
the truck, strain on the V6 engine, etc.  If the trailer has electric
brakes, will that help with stopping power?

Anybody out there use a Chevy S10 with V6 to haul horses?

I want to hear all sides.  Blast away.  I checked the archives and found not
too much on S10s.  Only one person that uses one and only with a one horse
trailer.

My truck that was sold before I left the States was a big Chevy with a 450
engine in it.  Solid as a rock.  Never had a moments worry that my little
trailer with my 850 lb horse was taxing that truck at all.  Could hardly
tell the trailer was back there.  I liked that feeling and am leery of the
S10 pulling a 2 bumper pull horse trailer and hauling endurance and camping
gear (in the bed of the truck) to boot.

We definitely want to invest in a bigger truck eventually, but Daniel wants
to use the S10 until we can save the money to buy.  I'm just not sure we CAN
use the S10 in the meantime.

Some stuff about the truck.  It's suspension has been tightened (whatever
that means).  It has a class 3 hitch bolted to the frame of the truck (as
opposed to using the bumper hitch).  Automatic transmission.  V6 engine.  No
anti-sway bar, but the manual recommends it if pulling over 2000 pounds (any
idea on the cost for that?).  Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 4200#.  Gross
Axle Weight Rating Front is 2500#.   Gross Axle Weight Rating Rear is 2300#.
No info about Gross Combination Weight Rating.

Don't have a trailer, but it'd probably be a used simple steel 2 horse. (How
much do those things weigh, anyway?)

Please send email directly to me (adlee@bigfoot.com).  I'm behind on reading
the digests and only pick them up twice a week, etc.  Also, I know this has
been hashed over some before, but I can't find what I need in the archives
and I just can't spend anymore time online this week (money goes real quick
unfortunately).

Thanks!  :)

April (still dreaming of horses and trucks and trailers and endurance)
Cambodia
Daniel (still getting used to this obsession of my girlfriend's)
Tennessee