Re: Chevy S10

> I'm about to get married.

Congratulations, and give him lots of rewards for wanting to help you out by
hauling.  Remember;
men are like horses, make the right choice easy,and the wrong choice
difficult.........

 And I have a fiancé with a Chevy S10.  He's
> convinced that the truck can pull a horse trailer with at least 1 horse in
> it.  I'm concerned about stopping power, weight of the trailer outweighing
> the truck, strain on the V6 engine, etc.  If the trailer has electric
> brakes, will that help with stopping power?

I would NOT do it-having hauled previously with a 1/2 ton Ford, still not
enough power and inadequate
with the brakes.  You might emphasize this may stress his truck, causing it
to overhead constantly, blow head gasket, strain engine, burn brakes, etc.
Actually, my guess is that that truck is only rated to tow about 2,000 lbs,
and that sure won't cover the weight of a trailer and horse.  Then,when you
go out on town, drive by truck
dealerships and ooh and ah over the new and used-beefier trucks.  If it
works, play dumb and ask HIM about their various atttibutes..........get him
all excited over a bigger truck!  Don't men always want bigger trucks?
(well, mine doesn't, but thats a different story)

> My truck that was sold before I left the States was a big Chevy with a 450
> engine in it.  Solid as a rock.  Never had a moments worry that my little
> trailer with my 850 lb horse was taxing that truck at all.  Could hardly
> tell the trailer was back there.  I liked that feeling and am leery of the
> S10 pulling a 2 bumper pull horse trailer and hauling endurance and
camping
> gear (in the bed of the truck) to boot.

Exactly!

> We definitely want to invest in a bigger truck eventually, but Daniel
wants
> to use the S10 until we can save the money to buy.  I'm just not sure we
CAN
> use the S10 in the meantime.

Naaaah, it's like picking the right time start a family, never will come,
just jump in, trade in the
truck and a bigger one, and look to save money on the wedding-do what WE
did-plan a  no-
gifts wedding, but guests bring potluck.

> Some stuff about the truck.  It's suspension has been tightened (whatever
> that means).  It has a class 3 hitch bolted to the frame of the truck (as
> opposed to using the bumper hitch).  Automatic transmission.  V6 engine.

Disaster waiting to happen.........save the money you will spend on a new
transmission when you blow
that one towing..........and get a bigger truck.

No
> anti-sway bar, but the manual recommends it if pulling over 2000 pounds
(any
> idea on the cost for that?).  Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 4200#.  Gross
> Axle Weight Rating Front is 2500#.   Gross Axle Weight Rating Rear is
2300#.
> No info about Gross Combination Weight Rating.
>
> Don't have a trailer, but it'd probably be a used simple steel 2 horse.
(How
> much do those things weigh, anyway?)

MORE than the newer ones! My old two horse Miley outweight my 12 ft.slant
Morgan........
At least 2,000 lbs.

> Please send email directly to me (adlee@bigfoot.com).  I'm behind on
reading
> the digests and only pick them up twice a week, etc.  Also, I know this
has
> been hashed over some before, but I can't find what I need in the archives
> and I just can't spend anymore time online this week (money goes real
quick
> unfortunately).
>
> Thanks!  :)

Sorry I am so opinionated, but I have been through the realm of trucks and
trailers and towing.
This set up will probably not be safe, and not what the truck is designed
for. ALSO REMEMBER, the weight to tow something like a boat is totally
different to the towing of a live animal that is moving around..............

I started out towing with a 1/2 ton V8 old Dodge, automatic, with an ancient
Miley two horse.........now have
1 ton dually diesel Dodge, with 20 ft. stock trailer and huge camper, when
you get that big, you really NEED
the dually..........would only tow with manual, heard of too many people
with automatics that burn out transmission AND brakes.  My opinions, of
course.

Karen