RC: Re: Stallion behavior

Dear Abigail
This is NOT an easy subject and there is Not an easy answer. I've been a
therapist now for over 20 years and just as there is NO ONE solution for
any person, there is certainly NO ONE solution to fit all stallions.
I've had mares come after me with more vengeance than any stallion (and
she was a spoiled 2 year old filly whom I was trying to load into a
trailer for a friend---literally tried to kill me) and I've been in the
middle of a stallion fight where I've yelled at the boys and told them
to go back to their own paddocks--and they have. I've also seen my life
pass before my eyes when my stallion was loose, surrounded by his mares
and 3 other stallions and he was running on hormones and to him I was
another stallion. In all three cases I acted totally different.
Sometimes using a chain across the nose and tugging at certain times
(not to make her rear but to punish her afterwards quickly and then to
praise for any cooperative movement- took an hour and much
patience--never overreacting with anger but using anger as a tool) and
sometimes acting like an irritated Mom with her boys and in the last
scenario, moving very quickly with the element of surprise, yelling "I'm
your MOM don't give me that attitude" and slapping him in the head with
the halter and when he was completely taken back (notice--- not
challenged-- he just was totally taken back by surprise at my behavior)
then I very quickly slid the halter over his head and thanked God he was
brought back to reality. Make no mistake, when stallions are acting on
hormones (usually brought on by mares in heat and other stallions vying
for the privilege) they do not always see you for who you are and you
can see the change in their eyes. If you have never seen that, count
yourself blessed. And I am not talking about "bad" stallions, I am
talking about any stallion given the right set of circumstances.
IF I have to reprimand a stallion I use my mouth first (and I'm told I
have a big one when I need to ) then I have my assistive devices such as
a stud chain (which actually I have used more on outside horses who have
been spoiled growing up and have never felt a tenny in their chest), an
iron halter, and a broom handle for horses who like to walk on me. They
are only ASSISTIVE devices and used only when my mouth isn't enough. I
do not normally use a whip as I want the horse to feel it is a tool
(crop) used to give cues. I have used a whip once to protect myself when
two horses were fighting in earnest and I had to get their
attention--again only for shock value-- to break the train of
violence--- and not to punish. Violence has a sequence to it--whether
you are talking about people or horses. My job is to do the
unexpected--to break that chain and restore order. Once a 2 year old was
"fighting" with another stud muffin in the next pasture and had worked
himself up. Not being witness to this I naively walked into the pasture
with his halter. Well he saw me as the stallion and started to charge
me. Realizing I could not make it to the fence, I relaxed every muscle
in my body and assumed the body posture of some one very bored and stood
there calmly saying" Now come off it--I'm Mom......"  and he raced up to
me and meeting no challenge. did a one foot rear and trotted off. I
followed and put his halter on. It worked---another time it might not
have (oh and I did change pants).
So what am I saying. If you are not totally confident about your ability
to read horses and promote good habits in geldings and mares, I would
never recommend standing a stud. There are risks---always no matter
who--especially if you did not raise him and do not know if he was ever
mistreated. Horses have flashbacks and there are several cases I'm aware
of locally where a trainer or groom has been killed/ injured suddenly
with NO and I mean NO provocation. He might have had the same shirt that
a mean trainer had worn or the same after shave, who knows. Stallions
are proud and they may seem to acquiesce but they can play "get even"
later.
I take great pains to socialize my colts and have not had any problems
with them but I am their Mom and have done the Bob Miller stallion
scream more that a few times when needed. Perhaps this has been overkill
to your question but having taken care of as many as 20 stallions at any
one time (plus colts on top of that) I have had quite an education about
them and have learned great respect. I do not seek to make any horse
afraid of me but they da.. well better respect me or I would be in a
heap of trouble.

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov