RC: Re: Stallion behavior

----------
> From: Lif Strand <fasterhorses@gilanet.com>
> To: ridecamp@endurance.net
> Subject: RC:   Stallion behavior
> Date: Sunday, January 16, 2000 9:55 PM
> 4)  This is primal stuff.  Stallions exist to defend/protect , besides to

> procreate.  When dealing with a stud, it's not like dealing with
geldings,
> mares.  Don't push primal buttons by becoming a challenger.

Please excuse my impudence, but after reading your reply, I must ask the
following:
Primally, one of the stallion's actions is to challenge other stallions for
the right to be head honcho in charge of the herd.  Some become the big guy
in charge and some never do.  This isn't usually by luck, but by skill at
fighting (tactics, bravery, etc.)  A few are born leaders and thus rule the
herd.  So, my question is what do you do when your stallion desides that he
would make a better herd leader than you?  I'm talking about a stallion
challenging you.  How would you get him to stop challenging?  How would you
show him that you are herd head honcho (I kinda like that)?  I'm partially
playing devil's advocate here as well as looking for other methods should I
someday run into this problem.

 Abigail Madden & Rosko (Mom stopped my challenges by gelding
me.........but then I was only 13 mos old when she did that...........and
she thinks I forgot.  : (
barbrnch@inreach.com