RC: Re: Stallion behavior

I have just started riding my stallion again..after 4 years of not being ridden.  He has always 'mouthed' things---puts anything and everything in his mouth.. ie grabs the reins, the whip handle, the lead rope, the cavesson... all of which make it awkward and slow down the tacking up process.

Hi Mary-Ann
Others have posted and I basically agree with what they say.  Don't have years have experience but enough with working endurance stallions to know that one that doesn't respect his handler is a liability and 'mouthing' is an expression of this lack of respect.
At his age its a problem as you're going have to be really strict if you want him to change his habits, but this will confuse him and you might yourself forever smacking him.  Gesa's right though he needs to discover that this behaviour is uncomfortable for him before he'll stop.
I have a stallion at home, same age as your boy, who does similar but only when I catch him up in the field.  I have established a 'tolerance' level for myself with his behaviour and so mostly I just ignore however from time to time he will grab my hand instead of the headcollar then he will get a serious clout.
I also have a Polish stallion, born and raised in Poland at one of the State studs.  They don't mess around there and this horse is the opposite of the other one, very nervy and if you hit him you can't get near him for a week.  If he feels the need he will bite the door of his stable but he has never in 6 years tried to bite or kick any of the humans who deal with him.  So it largely depends on the upbringing.
For future reference colts need to be handled really firmly from the first and correction needs to be instantaneous (not always easy),it needs to hurt to be effective, (watch how mares deal with their offspring) and it should be minimal, just enough, not endless abuse.  Whats cute at 6months is a pain at 2yrs when they're climbing all over you.
You might see what John Lyons or Pat Parelli have to say about corrective behaviour in an older horse.  Whilst not a big believer in "horse whisperers" if you sift through the mistique there are often some gems to be found.
Hope this helps
Heather Hamper
France

PS  Stallions need to work as well.  Work occupies their minds!