Buying Horses from a distance

This is an interesting area of discussion for me, but since I am novice at
selling
horses (but I gotta get busy and start doing this soon) what I have to
say may or may not make sense to you.  I could see buying the "Arabian
Horse World" type of horse via video, but an endurance mount, maybe not.

Never had to buy one, either.  But I know if I was looking for an endurance
mount I want to be very, very picky.  I would want to know how the horse
handles stress, totally inspect their legs with a fine tooth, see them
move, ride them, feel every muscle, know every move.  A conformationally
correct horse may also still have balance problems to overcome, believe me,
I know.  These things do not necessarily show up in the video.

And I think Bob made a good point of "clicking" with the horses personality.
With an arena show horse, this is less of an issue.  A beautiful show horse
in the video may sell, but a calm, steady horse personality may be real
boring
on tape.  My gelding looks like he's real, real hot because he's snorty, but
he is actually very easy to handle.  My mare is very laid back on the
superficial
look and does not have a "show attitude" (doesn't flag her tail have a
floaty trot);
but under saddle she's can be a hellion.  These things do not show up well
on tape.

(And this is where I brag that my gelding is out of the same dam as
Proclivity and Acuity,
two mares that sold for major$$$ to Brazilians. And his sire was a
Scottsdale Top 10 at halter.
Yes, I am shameless sometimes about bragging! These horses not only sold for
major
bucks but their breeders got a trip to Brazil to handle the transport when
Proclivity
was sold and shown to Brazilian Nat. Champ by Mike Neal.  Talk about
expense.)

If I were looking in the market for a horse worth $10K or more(which I'm
not); paying
$1000 to ship and do vetting may or may not make sense.  But then I am
looking
at a horse that would be an arena horse or a potential extreme athlete.
This is
Bette's world.

However, paying $1000 for a $2000 horse when you have dozens of $2000 horses
within a 50 mile radius doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. At this
price, I am
looking for "my best buddy" for long trail rides, not a fancy horse.  Some
$1000 horses
can also be real fancy, too!  Bob, is this your market?  I haven't seen you
brag yet -
maybe you are just modest.

On the other hand, I could understand why someone would want to buy one of
Bette's horses
just based on video!

Just my viewpoint from the way fringes of both worlds....

Kathy Mayeda