Re: Need information, please

The long distance purchase of horses is never easy, and while I agree with
Bob, a look at our herd shows that it can be done.  Wendy's gelding is home
bred.  Reno (Alcatraaz) was won at the convention 4 years ago and shipped
here from the pacific northwest.  The mare and filly were purchased from a
breeder in NB (500 mi. away), Ranger came from MI (450 miles) and Maverick
came from KY (750 miles).

I feel the points to consider are:

1. Is this horse different than those available locally?  The mare and filly
are CMK (Raffles) bred from proven endurance stock.  Wendy has a great need
for that particular blood line.  Ranger and Maverick are half Arabs and I
was not able to find ones I liked near me.  MN seems to have mostly high
priced show stock, or ones with heavy muscles.

2. Can I accept the fact that I will pay more for this horse?  Unless you
live in an area where horse prices are high, you will pay the same for the
horse and then have to add in transportation.

3. Can I accept more risk?  Even if you get a contract with return
privileges, it will cost a bunch to get the horse back.  You won't know the
vet that does the pre purchase.  You may have not even seen the horse until
it shows up one day.  The seller may do any of the bad things that were in
the thread about long distance purchases a year ago.

4. How important is the horse's training to you?  I bought Maverick with the
suspicion that as an Anglo-Arab who had been ridden less than a year, he
might be a bit spooky.  I have not been disappointed.  I only wish my air
time could be turned into frequent flier miles with a major airline.  If a
sane, trainable, but spooky horse was not for me I would have been better
off buying locally where it would be easier to ride him for many miles
before final purchase.

If you can accept these things, and more that I haven't thought of, you may
find your special horse from far away.  The method I used this spring worked
the best for me and I think it is the most reasonable way.

1.  Only answer advertisements that seem to be very enticing.  If you miss a
prospect, so what, remember you are looking for a very special horse.

2. Get photos, get a video.  Look at both very critically.  Have someone
else whose judgement you trust look at how the horse moves.  If the photos
and video don't show enough about the conformation etc. ask for better ones
or reject the horse.

3. Talk at length with the seller.  Be honest about what you want, but try
to get them talking at length about the horse.  The more they talk the more
good and bad they will reveal.

4. Find a good endurance vet in the area (a note to Ridecamp got me 4 names
of great vets) and have a long talk with him before he goes and does the
prepurchase exam.  Consider drug testing, x-ray's etc. in relation to the
horse's history.  If it does not come back very positive, reject the horse.

5. Decide if you can purchase sight unseen, (I bought Maverick unseen, and
have not regretted it.) or will have to drive  or fly to see the horse.  By
this time you should be quite sure that this really is a special horse, so
your risk is minimal.

In your case with the horse in MN, if you want a recommendation  let me know
where the horse is located.  I know 5 vets in various areas and may be able
to recommend one to you.

Ed and Wendy Hauser
1140 37th St.
Hudson, WI 54016