Horses requiring vet care at Tevis

Well, some interesting responses to my question about this.   I heard from a
half a dozen folks, all with essentially the same reply - somewhere in the
vicinity of 25 horses required IV fluids and/or other relatively aggressive
veterinary care.   That's about 10% of horses entered.

Disclaimer:  None of the folks who replied was a ride official, or one of the
treating vets, so the fact that all seemed to have approximately the same
number to offer still doesn't necessarily mean that this is accurate.   (As
we have seen on RC, sometimes "everyone" has the same WRONG information.)

Oddly enough, three of the six folks who replied included a comment to the
effect that we probably wouldn't be able to confirm the actual number of
treated horses, and two offered a disclaimer asking not to be quoted as the
source of info.   Of course their request for privacy is completely fine, but
the fact that they felt confidentiality might be necessary for some reason
adds to my sense of unease.    Surely these numbers are known to the vets,
and aren't a nasty little secret?

So.....  I'm inclined to open a discussion, based on a the apparently high
number of horses requiring treatment.   Don't you folks think this is of
special concern?   I understand it's a tough ride, but sheesh!     I can just
imagine how some of us would respond if we heard that 10% of rodeo horses or
track horses required IV therapy after an event.   I can just see one of
those photos of a "line" of horses with jugs hanging published by PETA.
Yikes!

Could the high number of treated horses just be representative of better or
more available vet care?   Obviously, with a 49% completion rate, the vets
were reasonably aggressive about pulling horses that didn't look good to go.

I'm sure willing to hear from anyone who wants to dispute these numbers.  If
the numbers are accurate, I'd really be interested in any input especially
from those who were there or from the vets about what we are seeing here.

I don't want to leap too far without better confirmation of the facts, but if
these numbers are correct, I think we all need to give this some long
thought.   We seem to be learning more every day about the physiology and
exercise metabolism of these horses - could it be that we aren't succeeding
in making the sport safer for them?    Whadaya all think?
pat farmer