Re: RC: Horses requiring vet care at Tevis

At 06:41 PM 07/21/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>We seem to be learning more every day about the physiology and
>exercise metabolism of these horses - could it be that we aren't succeeding
>in making the sport safer for them?    Whadaya all think?
>pat farmer

Well, since you asked <G>.

I think that probably the horses people saw treated were being treated as a
preventative and not as a requirement.  Meaning, that they wanted to
rehydrate the horses asap and not take any chances.  Who cares how it looks
if the horses are being taken care of and nothing serious happens in the end.

I don't think it is up to the vets or the RM to make the sport safer for
us.  Each of us is 100% responsible for our own horses, and if more people
went prepared to rides like Tevis and *listened* to what they are told
about this ride, there wouldn't be as many problems.

They can study and research endurance horses from now until the end of
time, but until individual rider learn to listen and pay attention to their
own horses and ride accordingly, it won't make any difference.  People go
to Tevis with horses that have 3.0 body scores, or that have never
electrolyted, or their horse tied up the month before, or has never done an
AERC ride, or has never been ridden on a technical trail, or been in a
large group of horses, doesn't drink and eat well......and/or has a rider
that isn't used to riding 35 (tough) miles to the first vet check.  For
some it is an excellent learning experience and they come back again better
prepared. Others aren't so lucky.