Sand crack in hoof of unshod colt...do I shoe him??

Bunduq came through his surgery well and appears to be on the road to
recovery. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that sometime before a year is up,
he will be a sound horse once more. Meanwhile back at the ranch, Nazeer, my
almost 3 yr old colt developed a sand crack in the center of his right fore.
It's quite deep but not too long. I have some hoof epoxy type stuff that I
can use to fill it, but I'm wondering if he should maybe be shod with side
clips on the front feet. Farrier advice please.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
gabbani@starnet.com.eg