Re: Castle Rock Ride/dogs

This is slightly off-topic, but I have just had a nasty experience re dogs
and wondered if anyone could perhaps find a way to "pick me up" today - I
need it.

I moved to the country so that I could ride out with my dogs.  They, to me,
are an integral part of a good out-ride.  My dogs are NOT aggressive, and
would not ever attack another animal.  (I say that with confidence because
my friends frequently bring their dogs with them when they visit me, and I
often look after other's dogs when they are away, my dogs ARE NOT
AGGRESSIVE)  Unfortunately, there are other people in the neighbourhood
whose dogs are not as nice, and yesterday my little Jack Russell was mauled
by a dobermann and a ridgeback, who were locked outside their property.  My
dog is very, very sore, but lucky to be alive.

My problem is this : I have been told that it is my fault for taking my dogs
with me when I ride - I should expect that they might be attacked, and it
was negligent of me to take them with me.  When did the world evolve in such
a fashion that I must now lock my dogs in the house when I ride, because
other people have not trained theirs?  I accept that I must be aware that
incidents like this might take place, which is why both my horses are
trained to chase aggressive dogs, but why is the blame for this cast on me
and not the owner of these two dogs (who, incidentally, has accepted blame
and undertaken to pay the vet's bill)

I feel soooooo shitty about this.  Please can someone find a way to cheer me
up.

Thanks,
Tracey

(and Little Maggie, who thinks life sucks)