Re: RC: Re: Castle Rock Ride/dogs

At 07:29 AM 05/26/2000 +0200, you wrote:
>My problem is this : I have been told that it is my fault for taking my dogs
>with me when I ride - I should expect that they might be attacked, and it
>was negligent of me to take them with me.

Hi Tracey:  I am glad your dog is allright.  If I must ride thru a
neighborhood where there are dogs, I put my dogs on a leash and walk them
thru it, leading the horse.  Nothing irritates me more than people who ride
by with their dogs running loose and coming onto our property leaving
behind little 'gifts'.  ....and yes, the dogs owner that attacked your dog
is responsible for any damages (or would be in my state).  You should
explain to the dogs owner that not only was your dog hurt but in the
process of your dog being attacked a number of additional things could have
occurred - your horse could have spooked or kicked at the other dogs
causing serious injury or even death to you or him (assuming your horse is
a he).  Usually, dog owners are responsible and if something like this
happens they will make every effort to insure that it doesn't happen
again.  Sometimes, it helps if you can throw something at the approaching
dogs to ward them off - I've done that with good success.  I don't usually
take my dogs with me because they'll end up coyotee bait, the neighborhood
dogs are the least of our problems.....ahhhh the country, eh?

Happy Trails,

Karen
& Dax & Whinny....who can outrun coyotes, if they have to