Re: RC: Re: Castle Rock Ride/dogs

At 07:29 AM 5/26/00 +0200, Tracey wrote:

>My problem is this : I have been told that it is my fault for taking my dogs
>with me when I ride - I should expect that they might be attacked, and it
>was negligent of me to take them with me.

Some people will find fault with anything.  Hindsight is always 20-20. We
usually take our dogs riding with us, and they love it.  I used to have an
old QH who wasn't afraid of dogs at all, and if some came out to hassle us,
we'd charge the dogs until the other riders and dogs had gone by.  There
was a quote that someone I met on the net had in their .sig - I really like
it -

"Insisting on perfect safety is for those that don't have the balls to live
in the real world."

I believe it was attributed to a woman who ran NASA for a while.  If you
always run around being afraid of what might happen, you'll never do
anything.  Any time something goes wrong, there are going to be people who
are quick to tell you that you screwed up.  Sometimes, s**t just happens.
You didn't know beforehand those other dogs were mean.  If you knew the
other dogs were going to be there, AND that they were mean, THEN you'd have
been negligent.

I'm glad your dog is going to be OK - our's meet other dogs on the trail
all the time, and we've been OK so far - thank goodness.

David LeBlanc
dleblanc@mindspring.com