Re: Rabies

Time to get my mind off physics. You are entirely correct about long term
effects. There aren't a whole lot of products that we have good studies of
long term effects, particuarly if those effects are somewhat common even
without the additional causitive effects of whatever agent concerns you.
Even uncommon conditions are difficult to pin down. But one has to consider
not only the effects on the horse, but the effects on anyone that may handle
your horse.  The folks killed by lightening made a choice to play golf in
bad weather. The neigbors kid was just petting your horse and the vet was
just trying to make a living.

One of the reasons drugs are withdrawn is because of FDA tracking of
reactions. I find it fascinating that there are folks that are part of
another industry making money from alternatives (and not all alternatives
are bad) that are not tracked at all and trashing conventional because a
system (imperfect) is in place to track finds problems. This is not aimed at
you Truman - I don't believe this is a source of income to you. But the
conventional drug industry is not the only industy out there.

Rabies vaccines have reduced the domestic animal rabies incidence. As to
whether the cycle should be 3 years (which it is in Washington - and I think
the 3 year vaccine may be different than the 1 year vaccine) or 1 year or
some other number is an honest debate. But it also gets tangled with product
liability. If you want somewhat higher risk for longer timeframes, you also
have to eliminate the financial risks to the vaccine manufacturers from
lawsuits when in a particular animal the vaccine is not effective for that
time frame. (Not likely to be common, but if a large number of people have
to go through treatment and couple slip through the cracks and die, what is
the liability for a product that wholesales for a couple of bucks.)  Then
another financial interest gets involved.

No good answers.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net