Re: RC: Rabies

This post is not directed at any one person in particular.  It is a
general statement as to how I see this issue.

I do not know the probability of acute reaction to a vaccine, however a
friends mine almost died from a reaction to a rabies vaccine. Does anybody
know the probability of an acute and more importantly does anybody the
probability of long term detrimental  effects of repeated vaccinations?
Most likely not and that is I think the issue.  My vet (as well as others)
tell me that rabies vaccines are good for at least 3 years in dogs.  Then
why do we vaccinate ever year?  What is the effectively of rabies vaccine
in horses?

How many drugs and vaccines have passed "FDA type testing" to be withdrawn
several years later when long term cumulative effects had time to show
up?  In the early days people were told that exposure low levels of
radiation was no serious health risk - well WRONG!

For my taste there are too many question unanswered to properly access the
long term risk vs. benefit which is required to design an optimal strategy
for vaccination against most diseases - be it in animals or humans.  I
think the public deserves answers to its questions rather than scare
tactics which some of the public health establishment tends to use.  Over
the last decade in FL there were about 10 times as many horses that died
from lightening than died from rabies and many many more died from
encephalitis than rabies.  There were more people killed on the golf
course by lightening last year than have died in the last 20 years of
rabies.

Are we trying to prevent a very low probability event using a treatment
which has a greater probability of causing a negative effect in long
term?  Can anyone answer that with any type of statistically justifiable
confidence?

Questions....questions......questions........

Truman

--
Truman Prevatt
Brooksville, FL

Mystic "The Horse from Hell" Storm
Buck's Mystic Karma
Rocket a.k.a. Mr. Misty
Jordy a.k.a. Bridger (when he is good)
Danson Flame - Hot Dog I'm healed and ready to go.

http://www.mrsl.com