Re: RC: Herpes

In a message dated 1/10/2000 3:56:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gaitngo@inreach.com writes:

<< Has any one had any experience w/equine herpes?  My horses (3) had
contracted herpes and there is a possibility that they contracted herpes from
their shots.  Paso Power/janice >>

     I do not know about horses, but certain vaccines ARE associated with
later contraction of various herpes-virus afflictions in humans.  These
afflictions can be chronic and debilitating . . . the ironic thing here
being, the auto-immune type of chronic afflictions are typically worse than
the acute disease being vaccinated against.
    Certainly I would think that if it can happen in humans, it can happen in
horses.
    Something to remember is that the biggest threat posed by vaccines is NOT
"immediate" reactions to the vaccines, such as seizures and such (though
these are a definate threat) but the "delayed" reactions vaccines can and do
cause, most notably auto-immune related disorders such as Crohn's disease,
EPM (yes, there is a vaccine connection!), subtle neurological disorders
which cause not so subtle gait and behavior problems, etc.
     btw, diseases such as polio, etc, WERE NOT "eliminated" by vaccination.
Polio decreased in England even more than it did in the US, at the same time
as it did in the US, and England DID NOT institute mass-vaccination against
this disease until AFTER the epidemic was pretty much over.  Much more
significant a cause of polio and other diseases of the past century's decline
was improved hygiene, ESPECIALLY the installation of indoor plumbing and
improved sewer and water-treatment facilities.  Indeed, though a direct
correlation between major disease epidemics and the institution of mass,
compulsary vaccination programs does not exist, one between indoor plumbing
and these diseases DOES exist.
   In the last several decades, the ONLY cases of polio contracted in the
United States was attributable TO the vaccine.
    There is a link between vaccine-use and AIDS.
    This is a long answer to your question.  The short answer is, YES, I
believe it would certainly be possible.  With vaccination we are often
trading the occurence of one disease, for another.

Trish Marie & pretty David (who gets very few "shots.")
Grand Blanc, Michigan