'cheap' horses in endurance / no $ in owning a stallion

I have a nice but totally unproven stallion (he's only 3) and would hesitate
to try breeding (buying/leasing my own mares) because it doesn't pay. I
couldn't get any outside mares because he doesn't have a show record
(probably never will). I certainly don't want to breed him to poor quality
mares. If he is not a good endurance horse he will be gelded and/or sold.

There are alot of horses out there for little more than poundage. The
stallion was donated to a charity and sold for $650. He is a Bey Shah and
Alladdin grandson. My friend has 2 arabs off the track. He also has an 'oops'
(stallion got in with mare etc. before he bought mare). 3 horses he had were
breeder culls/overflow. They are pleasure horses now in good homes(one's in
my backyard). He has a quarter horse that probably would be rump roast if he
didn't buy it.

However, cheap horses are a risk. Especially if you don't know their history.
But I have a feeling alot of people like looking for endurance prospects that
are other peoples rejects or are in feedlots or low end auctions. Money
probably isn't the only motivation.

Some breeders seem to be more concerned with mass production than the fact
that they are producing a living creature and that a high quality horse will
probably end up having a better life than junk that ends up going to
slaughter. They are hurting the ethical breeder.

OK, I've rambled on long enough. It's raining (again!) and I'm getting weird.

                                      Shelly in DE