Re: 'cheap' horses in endurance / no $ in owning a stallion

----- Original Message -----
From: <TddWil@aol.com>> OK, I've rambled on long enough. It's raining
(again!) and I'm getting weird.

no, you are not getting weird, you are right on target.  I don't deny that
there are success stories, but like I said, you don't usually hear about the
failures.

> >>, cheap horses are a risk. Especially if you don't know their history.
> But I have a feeling allot of people like looking for endurance prospects
that  > are other peoples rejects or are in feedlots or low end  auctions.
Money > probably isn't the only motivation.

You put the same amount of care and devotion and work into each horse. Many
times, people invest, literally, years in a horse, to finally admit that he
just can't do what they need done.  and destructive for the horse, as well
as the rider.  Horses are proud animals.... to be 'rescued' and years later,
be a failure for the one who saved you..  :((((( I think it is a heartache

> Some breeders seem to be more concerned with mass production than the fact
> that they are producing a living creature and that a high quality horse
will  > probably end up having a better life than junk that ends up  going
to > slaughter. They are hurting the ethical breeder.

BY PURCHASING (including slaughter rescue) THESE HORSES THE PUBLIC IS
KEEPING THE MARKET FLOWING FOR THESE GUYS!!!!!!  If you want a quality
animal, you have to demand that from the producer, not just settle for
something that might work.  (and don't hammer me about the slaughter, I
think the whole thing is a horrible, horrible mess)

ok - here is the surgeon general warning.. I am getting on my soapbox....
Over the years, I have found that many people have NO CONCEPT of the way a
horse is really supposed to look or act.  They don't know all horses don't
bite or kick or drag them around on the lead rope.  I was recently at a
local barn, and a friend of a friend asked me to verify what someone else
had told her, that her mare had a particular conformation fault that would
limit her as a performance horse.  OH MY :((((((((((((   her rear fetlocks
were nearly touching the ground, just standing at the fence....  so she sold
her to someone as a BROODMARE!!!!

Becky Huffman
Huffman's Arabians ~ The Original Series ~
http://www.htcomp.net/Huffman/