Re: Horse slaughter

In a message dated 3/16/00 12:59:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
hn.heather@wanadoo.fr writes:

<< This option is available in the UK and in France.  Don't know about the
rest
 of Europe.>>

I'll have to ask my husband more specifically about Denmark.  All he has
mentioned there is that the horse butcher was only a few kilometers away, so
he could literally lead the horse there if he wanted.

 <<How do veterinary clinics in the US deal with the bodies of horse they
lose? >>

Depends on the area.  Where I am, the rendering company will pick them up
(from vet clinic OR private farm), but with the rise in fuel prices the past
few years, they have gone from free pick-up to charging a fee for it, with
the amount varying on the distance they have to drive from their plant.  In
some areas, they can be hauled to landfills for a fee.  Some areas offer
cremation, but the price is either subsidized or quite high--someone in this
thread quoted $1 per pound, which at the current price of fuel, may be
conservative.  (I know the price for cremation of large dogs was around $200
even a few years ago.  I have a hard time even imagining cremating a horse!)

Heidi