Beet Pulp

Nancy Eakin eakinn@aol.com
I ride mostly NATRC and have just moved into the Open division.  After my last ride (60 miles in two days) my horse looked so drawn.  I want to start adding beet pulp as a "treat" in addition to his current hay and grain ration on the rides.  I hear this will help get some moisture into him, as I plan on soaking it.  Any comments, suggestions or guidlines anyone can give will help.  My feed store has a shredded beet pulp w/ a small amount of molasses added.  Is it okay to feed this just on the rides? How much and when do I feed it?  Is it okay to give right when we come in off the trail?  Is cold water okay for soaking?  What is the water ratio?  Thanks in advance, Nancy Eakin