Re: RC: Equine dentist vs Vet?

Hi Kristi,
    A simple way to answer you not-dumb-at-all question is to ask if you go to
your doctor to have your teeth cleaned.
    For people, dentists and doctors are very different professions and we'd
never dream of confusing them.  But not so for our horses.
    A bit of history:  in the years after Henry Ford made the car available to
the masses, horses were put out of business and with them all the skilled trades
associated with them except vets and farriers.  In the years since, vets have
taken responsibility for care of all parts of the horse except the feet (they
probably let the farriers have the feet because lifting legs and pounding nails
all day is darned hard work!).  Now that horses are an economic force to be
reckoned with, the other trades are making a comeback and the vets are fighting
hard to hold onto their turf.
    The World Wide Association of Equine Dentistry (403) 933-2036 is the place to
contact for the name of an equine dentist in your area.  According to their
mission statement "the Association certifies equine dentists according to strict
standards, and fosters continuing education among members."  In most states,
equine dentists do still have to work with a vet who administers the anaesthetic
(thanks to the vet lobby). Some equine dentists work closely with vets and hold
regular clinics at their facilities which is a great combo.  Another good
solution is to organize a clinic at your own barn so the dentist and vet are
guaranteed a full day's work (maybe the vet could also do worming or other
routine jobs too).
    Horses don't often get cavities like we do (although it can happen).  They
get hooks and points as sharp as razors that can keep the insides of their mouths
raw and sore.  These same hooks and points can lock the jaws and prevent the
horse from chewing properly which can lead to unthriftiness ("hard keeper"),
choke, colic, bad behavior, resistances, etc., etc., etc!
    Questions to ask your vet about his dental training and skills:
1. how many hours of training in dentistry beyond what he/she learned in vet
school does he have?
2. does he use a speculum so that he can examine the rear molars (located under
the horse's eyes!)
3. does he have the tools and expertise to treat those rear molars as well as the
ones up front?
4. can he correct a wavy mouth?
5. can he adjust a "crooked" smile (i.e. how the incisors meet)?
    Sorry this got so long!
Laney