Re:Top Ten

Karen wrote:
I do not ride endurance, but am on this list out of interest and gaining
knowledge from people who care enough about their horses to maintain them
in a condition of excellence which I feel benefits the horse beyond the
races. It upsets me that people who do not exercise such care and upon
whom the horse is dependent, should win or benefit in any way, from
abusing their horse. Why can't the rule be that to win in the top 5 or 3,
or whatever is appropriate, the horse must also vet check (BC?)in the top
5 or 3? It seems fairly easy to me to align the winning horses in a way
that rewards care and conditioning. But, maybe there is more involved...I
am not in the sport.

Karen

As an aspiring endurance rider and volunteer, and current CTR rider, I hate to see this trend also. It encourages people to gofor the finish and not the condition of their horse. One reason Ilike CTR is because while done in a pace, BC is what wins. I have always admired Dinah Rojek, because even though she is often top ten, you also see her get BC awards. I think more riders should follow that example. I would feel nothing but guilt if I won, but my horse did so poorly in BC. I think that is the true horseman's trophy-Best Condition. just my 2cents worth.

Helga Loncosky
Archival Morgan Record
http://www.eqwi.com/Amr/index.htm
Beacon Morgan Horses, Ltd.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/5292/
hblmh@ptd.net
No heaven can heaven be, if my horse isn't there to welcome me.