Re: No Appetite

Shannon,
Tez eats just about whatever is offered him at home.  I've had some success on
training rides enticing him to eat (usually just a couple of handfulls of beet
pulp with either applesauce or wet alflafa cubes mixed in). Lately, I've been
trying to entice him to stop and eat clover or any other delicacy while
riding.  Again, a few bites seems to be his limit. He is so very intense, think
this is the root of the problem.  His displeasure at standing still or going a
slower speed than he likes is voiced by audibly grunting.  This has improved
markedly over the past month, as have my training ride strategy, goals and
speed.  He was much calmer when out training with a group this past Saturday
and even ate better than ever before.  No arguing about speed and no grunting!
Giving up on him has never been an option.  He's to good a game of chess--I
want to figure this one out and out maneuver him.
You, and everyone else that have taken the time to reply, have supplied me with
many more options.  Many, many thanks.
About his breeding, I've been told that he is almost straight Egyptian, with
just a touch of domestic.  RH Almitez (sire on top?) out of Niki Hamiel.
Laura & RR Teznik (the grunting Pegasus)