Re: No appetite

In a message dated 2/21/99 10:28:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
lsn@bellsouth.net writes:

<< I'm relatively new to endurance riding and am experiencing a problem
 with my Arab.  Upon arriving at the ride camp site, my horse basically
 loses interest in eating.  He will pick at hay and grain, sometimes
 finishing his evening pre-ride feed by the next morning.  He refuses to
 eat anything the morning of the ride and eats VERY little during the
 ride.  >>

Laura, how old is this horse, and has he done anything else yet in life other
than endurance?  Sounds to me like the stress of hauling and being away from
home is really getting to him.  This is the sort of horse that perhaps needs
to go on a bunch of overnight camping trips that AREN'T endurance rides, or go
along as a spare horse tied to the trailer, until he learns that being on the
road is just like being home.

What are you feeding at home?  That may give us some clues.

Also, I sometimes encounter horses that just "are" this way--they are real
headaches to manage, and very difficult to get very far with in this sport.
If he is young and green, go back to the drawing board with his schooling; if
not, consider your options about either getting a different horse or managing
him as a marginal prospect.

Heidi