No appetite

I'm relatively new to endurance riding and am experiencing a problem
with my Arab.  Upon arriving at the ride camp site, my horse basically
loses interest in eating.  He will pick at hay and grain, sometimes
finishing his evening pre-ride feed by the next morning.  He refuses to
eat anything the morning of the ride and eats VERY little during the
ride.  He is uninterested in grass, hay, alfalfa, grain, beet pulp,
carrots, apples--geez, I've tried it all.  Sometimes he will pick at
hay.  He usually drinks well during the ride.  I do give him
electrolytes.  I tried the Carbo-Charge, but found the powder did not
dissolve well in water and the amount he actually injested did not seem
to have any affect at all.  By the end of a 50-mile ride, this guy is
pretty much out of fuel.  He will sometimes pick at grain, eating only a
few handfulls (if that much) the night after the ride.  After he arrives
back home, it usually takes him 2 days before he will eat his normal
ration of grain.  Needless to say, after the ride, and for the next few
days, he looks very "wasp-waisted" and drawn up.  He is an intense
horse, and is very focused on "going down the trail."  On training
rides, he will sometimes eat after a slow 2-hour ride, but rarely more
than a few bites.  Setting up his corral next to one of his training
"buddies" does not influence his attitude or appetite in any way.  I've
been riding him for a year now.  He has completed 2 25s and 4 50
milers.  Any suggestions, anyone, or will this situation correct itself
with more experience.
Big Thanks in advance,
Laura & Tez (all I need away from home is air, water & salt)