Re: full recovery at vet checks?

In a message dated 2/21/99 10:01:51 AM Pacific Standard Time, Farafix@aol.com
writes:

<< The couple of days before the ride, while at home, the horses are on pretty
 lush pasture.  I give only enough grain (1/2 small coffee can) to get the
CAGS
 & electolytes into the horses.  I have an old gelding that founders on the
 grass, if allowed too much, & was told by a local lab that pasture in this
 area usually tests very high in protein, so I thought extra grain was
probably
 unnecessary!  Any thoughts/research on the effects of pasture as a carbo
 source?  I have no problem maintaining weight (in fact, they get fat on the
 pasture when resting up after a competition!).
 My mare, several yrs of experience, 2600 miles, isn't too bad at the starts
 (used to be somewhat strong, but I think she's figured out she might as well
 save the energy) on this regime.  The stallion is strong the first couple of
 miles, but I'm not sure if  that's diet or just being a young (coming 6)
 stallion!

 Thanks to you & Heidi for your comments.

 Nancy >>

Well, you're certainly not carboloading these horses and it sounds as though
you're doing the right thing. Protein can be used to produce blood glucose,
but that's the long way around. I'd not fix what ain't broke--until you have a
horse that starts running out of gas during a ride.

ti