full recovery at vet checks?

ummm, If endurance rides are short races with full recoveries inbetween,
then why is rest and recovery after the race so important?

I intuitively think it is only a partial recovery, after all, 50 and 100
miles horses are going with no sleep, many are trotting and cantering
and there is no way they are refueling their bodies 100% during the
holds.  If they were, why would it be so important they get extra forage
after the race and time off?

Also, Mystery kept getting pretty high on sweet feed last year so now I
give him more oats.  This year I don't like him dropping the weight he
is right now so I'm giving him more All In One which was what he use to
get high on.  Yet he isn't high and I "think" it is because I am riding
more relaxed, breathing etc and he is picking that up.  Just my own
horse and experience.

And no, I'm not a scientist, I only own one horse, and I havn't even
completed my first 50 yet, so don't bash too hard! <g>

Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab..."uh oh, your typing again..just remember
folks, she said it not me!")
Pt.Reyes, CA